NYC Summer Session - Professor Frasier

Transitional New York: Two Decades of Urban Reinvention in New York City

Sunday, May 30, 2010

New York - The Financial District

On Saturday, May 29th, our class embarked upon a journey to New York City. Our bolt bus took us into Manhattan and dropped us off at Penn Station. The overall course objective is to learn about transitional periods of New York City, including social, political, cultural, economic etc. As a student of Morgan State University Architecture Department, I enjoy seeing cities outside of Baltimore to be able to compare and contrast how cities have changed to be what they are today.
Exploring New York City with two of my professors was a wonderful experience, in that I got to learn about the architectural side of a city while touring it. Now this blog needs to focus on an aspect of New York City that I will research for the next few weeks. This opportunity came about when our professors let us take a two hour break to explore NYC on our own. I went with a fellow student and we looked at our map and knew Wall St. is where we wanted to go. Thanks to Professor Frasier, we knew how to walk at a "New York Pace" and got down to Wall St. where all the "movers and shakers" of the city reside. I decided I would like my research to focus on how the financial district of New York City impacts the surrounding areas in different ways. I will explore all aspects of city life to ensure I fully understand how the financial district of New York City affects the architectural makeup of the neighboring areas. While doing this I also suspect I will learn about how the economy of the world works, as well. Wish me Luck!!

1 comment: